A Rust implementation of gRPC, a high performance, open source, general RPC framework that puts mobile and HTTP/2 first.
tonic is a gRPC over HTTP/2 implementation focused on high
performance, interoperability, and flexibility. This library was
created to have first class support of async/await and to act as a core building
block for production systems written in Rust.
Examples can be found in the
Follow the instructions in the
tonic-build crate documentation.
transport: Enables the fully featured, batteries included client and server implementation based on
tokio. Enabled by default.
channel: Enables just the full featured channel/client portion of the
codegen: Enables all the required exports and optional dependencies required for
tonic-build. Enabled by default.
tls: Enables the
rustlsbased TLS options for the
transportfeature. Not enabled by default.
tls-roots: Adds system trust roots to
rustls-based gRPC clients using the
rustls-native-certscrate. Not enabled by default.
tlsmust be enabled to use
tls-webpki-roots: Add the standard trust roots from the
rustls-based gRPC clients. Not enabled by default.
prost: Enables the
gzip: Enables compressing requests, responses, and streams. Depends on flate2. Not enabled by default. Replaces the
compressionflag from earlier versions of
The main goal of
tonic is to provide a generic gRPC implementation over HTTP/2
framing. This means at the lowest level this library provides the ability to use
a generic HTTP/2 implementation with different types of gRPC encodings formats. Generally,
some form of codegen should be used instead of interacting directly with the items in
transport module contains a fully featured HTTP/2.0
Channel (gRPC terminology)
Server. These implementations are built on top of
It also provides many of the features that the core gRPC libraries provide such as load balancing,
tls, timeouts, and many more. This implementation can also be used as a reference implementation
to build even more feature rich clients and servers. This module also provides the ability to
enable TLS using
rustls, via the
tls feature flag.
- HTTP specific body utilities.
- Generic client implementation.
- Generic encoding and decoding.
- Contains data structures and utilities for handling gRPC custom metadata.
- Generic server implementation.
- Utilities for using Tower services with Tonic.
- Batteries included server and client.
- Include an encoded
&'static [u8]. The parameter must be the stem of the filename passed to
tonic-build::Builder, excluding the
- Include generated proto server and client items.
- A type map of protocol extensions.
- A gRPC request and metadata from an RPC call.
- A gRPC response and metadata from an RPC call.
- A gRPC status describing the result of an RPC call.
- Streaming requests and responses.
- gRPC status codes used by
- Trait implemented by RPC request types.
- Trait implemented by RPC streaming request types.
- A re-export of
async-traitfor use with codegen.